Corporate Relations Internship
To be considered for this internship opportunity, please send your complete internship application packet to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
c/o Volunteer Services
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Application deadline for winter/spring 2013 is Saturday, Dec. 15.
Internship Title: Corporate Relations Internship
Internship Department: Development
Objective: The corporate relations intern will assist in the growth and development of a comprehensive corporate relations program designed to build long-term, multifaceted, collaborative partnerships with the corporate community. These include partnerships for the annual fund, programmatic support, sponsorship, corporate membership and special events.
• Assist in the development of project specific letters, solicitation packets, proposals and fulfillment reports for annual partnerships.
• Assist with solicitation packages (sponsorship, support, in-kind donations) for the Board of Trustees Gala and Auxiliary Board BLU.
• Help identify potential corporate donors.
• Support the corporate relations team by providing research briefs about the corporate community as it relates to corporate giving, sponsorships, innovations and trends.
• Manage RSVP list and complete other duties as assigned for corporate summit event.
• Maintain corporate hotline for Corporate Family Days and annual corporate membership program.
• Assist with on-site sampling events as needed, assist in staffing after-hours special events hosted by the development department including fundraising events, cultivation events, member and partner events.
• Assist with data entry in updating corporate contacts in Raiser’s Edge.
• File corporate correspondence.
• Participate in tours as requested.
• Provide additional support to the corporate relations team as requested.
Final Product(s): A well-rounded understanding of corporate philanthropy at a non-profit institution.
Qualifications: A motivated self-starter with the capacity to work independently while contributing to team projects as appropriate. Good communication skills (verbal and written), time management and presentation skills are preferred. A desired candidate would have the ability to maintain confidentiality, be able to multi-task and have an interest in zoos and aquariums.
Proficient with Microsoft Office is a must. Experience with Raisers Edge is a plus! Should be able to occasionally lift items up to 50lbs. Professional work ethic and demeanor is imperative.
Minimum GPA: Minimum 3.0 on a 4 point scale.
Desired year in school: Enrolled as a junior or senor in an undergraduate program.
Compensation: Unpaid. Interns must make arrangements with their schools to gain academic credit for this internship. Shedd Aquarium is happy to provide any work documentation necessary for this process.
Desired Majors: Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Business or related
Two to three days a week (set schedule will be determined based on intern availability). Occasional early mornings, nights or weekends.
Experience working directly with Shedd’s development and marketing departments in all aspects of corporate philanthropy and relationship building. Networking opportunities with various corporate partners and donors.
Connections to other Shedd staff and interns through formal and informal trainings as well as mentorship opportunities.
To Apply: Print and complete the application packet. A list of required application documents is featured on this form.
If you have any questions regarding this internship or our program, please e-mail us at email@example.com.
Winter/spring 2013: Dec. 15 or until the internship is filled.