Veterinary Medical Technologist 1
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Title: Veterinary medical technologist 1
Status: full-time, regular
Department: Animal Health
Supports all major areas of operation of the Veterinary Services division of the Animal Health Department with an emphasis on animal-health-related duties, but also including microbiology and water quality.
• Assists the veterinary team in the immobilization, physical examination and treatment of the aquarium’s diverse animal collection. Assists the veterinarians in managing the daily schedule and coordinating with the various husbandry departments. Assists the veterinary team in performing diagnostic procedures including, but not limited to, radiology, ultrasonography and endoscopy. Fills and delivers prescription medications. Performs miscellaneous medical care to collection animals.
• Performs basic laboratory duties. This person will assist in and perform pathological prosection on necropsy specimens and perform basic hematology, cytology, parasitology and other diagnostic exams. Introductory microbiology duties such as standard plate counts and setting up general diagnostic samples will be required.
• Maintains animal healthcare records in coordination with the Veterinary Services management team.
• Responsible for the daily hygiene of the hospital exam rooms, kitchen area and hospital wards. Responsible for setup and breakdown for clinical procedures. Responsible for cleaning, sterilization and packing of instrumentation and equipment. Assists with pharmacy and dry goods inventory and restocking. Responsible for production of medicated diets and formula.
• Performs other duties as requested including but not limited to special projects and water-quality analysis.
• Graduation from an accredited AVMA veterinary technology program or equivalent combination of experience or training required. CVT, AHT, or equivalent with appropriate experience preferred. Will consider medical technologist [MT(ASCP)], BS or BA in biology, animal science, or related field, with appropriate veterinary technical experience.
• One year in a clinical laboratory, zoo, hatchery, or public aquarium preferred. A combination of animal husbandry skills with clinical laboratory training acceptable.
• Experience with aquatic and exotic species or in a zoo or public aquarium preferred. Data management experience required. Familiarity with Microsoft Office, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel, or equivalents, including spreadsheet and database management preferred. Experience with ARKS/MedARKS helpful. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills. Strong interpersonal skills needed. Must be capable of multitasking and working within a team environment.
• Will be required to work weekend days and may be required to work unusual hours or unscheduled days during emergencies. Should be able to lift 50 pounds.