Shedd Adventures 2013
Mexico (July 14 to 19)
Expedition whale sharks
Swim among the largest of all fishes in the warm waters off Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula. While whale sharks are huge — 40 feet and 15 tons — they are also docile and unafraid. But there’s more: In nature sanctuaries tucked away from tourist spots, you’ll view dolphins, rays and brilliant tropical birds. Finally, snorkel over the world’s second largest barrier reef — just steps across the beach from your hotel.
Download the journey brochure for full details.
July 14 — Arrive in Cancún and transfer to the hotel on the Riviera Maya.
July 15 — Visit a cenote for a swim and picnic in an orchid sanctuary.
July 16 — Snorkel among the whale sharks and explore a mangrove.
July 17 — Get within arm's reach of the whale sharks and observe local wildlife.
July 18 — Encounter tropical marine life while snorkeling over the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef.
July 19 — Return to Cancún for flights home.
Meet Tim Binder, your Shedd Aquarium Guide
Tim Binder, Shedd’s vice president of collection planning, is well acquainted with whale sharks, having provided husbandry expertise for these enormous fish at aquariums in Taiwan, Dubai and the United States. He’s been a certified diver for 35 years, and his underwater experiences include the Great Barrier Reef and the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef off Belize, as well as shipwrecks and reef ecosystems around the world. A globetrotting scientist, he’s also a seasoned trip leader who will have a wealth of fascinating natural history to share with us.
Your journey includes
• Airport transfers on Day 1 and final day only
• Van and boat transportation between Puerto Morelos and Isla Holbox
• Meals from dinner Day 1 to breakfast Day 6
• Bottled/filtered water during activities and bottled/filtered water and soft drinks at meals
• Services of Natural Habitat Adventures expedition leader
• Services of Shedd Aquarium guide Tim Binder
• Most gratuities, permits and park fees, all taxes (except Mexico’s departure and airport taxes).
• 1 complimentary Sponsor level Shedd Aquarium membership per household
July 14 and 18: Azul Beach Hotel
July 15 – 17: Villas Paraiso del Mar
For reservations and more information
Journey cost, per person
• $3,795 double occupancy
• $795 single-room supplement
• $450 – $550 estimated airfare from Chicago
Aquarium membership included with your adventure
Continue your connection with nature after you return home. Each household with a Shedd Adventures traveler receives a complimentary Sponsor-level Shedd Aquarium membership.
Other travel opportunities
This trip is one of four offered through Shedd Adventures in 2014. See where else you could venture.