To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Title: Financial/grant analyst
Status: Full-time, regular
Department: Business and Shared Services
Supports departments throughout the institution in developing budgets and analyzing and reporting financial outcomes. Oversees grant compliance, budgeting and reporting.
• Works with departments to develop annual budgets as well as to develop and maintain up-to-date financial forecasts.
• Works with Development and participating departments to prepare proposed grant budgets and review grant applications for compliance and budget accuracy. Monitors compliance with grant budgets and other requirements; requests reimbursements and other grant draws; and prepares required financial reports. Prepares grant revenue accruals in conjunction with the month-end close. Works with the institution’s independent auditors on audits of grants as required.
• Reviews financial reports on a monthly basis, focusing on actual-to-budget variances, and meets with managers who have budget responsibility to discuss variances and appropriate actions. Analyzes the best utilization of resources throughout the institution.
• Prepares financial analysis of programs and projects as well as ad hoc financial analysis as requested.
• Participates on teams and performs other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting is required.
• At least two years of experience working in accounting or finance. Not-for-profit experience strongly preferred.
• Experience with grant budgets and grant management preferred.
• Strong computer skills required, including use of Microsoft Office applications and an advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel. Experience working with a computerized accounting system a plus.
• Strong interpersonal skills required; must be comfortable working in a team-oriented environment and with staff at all levels across the organization.
• Self-starter, detail-oriented, curious, able to meet stringent deadlines and handle multiple priorities.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.