Guest Engagement Internship-Training Technologies
To be considered for this internship opportunity, please send your complete internship application packet to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
c/o Volunteer Services
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Application deadline for summer 2013 is April 15.
Internship Department: Learning
Objective: This project-based experience will help support the training and onboarding of volunteers, and focus on audiovisual media development and production.
• Research best practices for use of audiovisual media to enhance volunteer training
• Integrate concepts from Shedd’s Learning Framework, goals and outcomes document into the development and production of materials.
• Interview volunteers to get their thoughts and feedback about audiovisual components to aid their training and onboarding
• Observe training sessions for volunteers
• Observe interactions between volunteers and aquarium guests.
• Integrate volunteer feedback into development plans
• Develop audiovisual content that will be used during the onboarding and training of new volunteers
• Record audiovisual pieces on computer, tablet device and/or MP3 device
• Attend and participate in volunteer meetings when appropriate
• Share/update at department meetings
Final Product(s): Produce at least one audio piece and at least one visual media piece to aid in the training and onboarding of volunteers.
Familiarity with computer, tablet device, and/or MP3 programs. Able to record and edit audiovisual data using computer, tablet device and/or MP3. Comfort working independently. Motivated to help others learn. Able to work in a fast-paced environment.
Minimum GPA: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Desired Year in School: Currently enrolled in college, junior/senior preferred.
Compensation: Unpaid. Interns must make arrangements with their schools to gain academic credit for this internship. Shedd Aquarium is happy to provide any work documentation necessary for this process.
Desired Majors: Communications, education, museum studies, media/arts, technology
Time Commitment: 24 to 32 hours a week, 6 to 8 weeks (including weekends). Likely shift days would be tuesday, Wednesday, or Saturday, or Wednesday, Thursday, or Saturday.
For training purposes, Wednesday availability is preferred.
• Through the aquarium-wide intern program, interns will gain knowledge about Shedd operations/practices.
• The intern will learn about the educational philosophies and practice of interpretation and audiovisual content development.
• The intern will be expected to share his or her projects in a poster-session style forum (intern showcase scheduled through the aquarium-wide intern program). This growth opportunity provides the intern with a public-speaking experience as well as networking with aquarium staff.
• The intern project process will inform how the Guest Engagement department volunteer individual learning plans are developed.
To Apply: Print and complete the application packet available on our website. A list of required application documents is on the website.
If you have questions about this internship or our program, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer 2013 is April 15, or until the internship is filled.