Coordinator of Grant Writing and Research
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to:
Manager, Human Resources
John G. Shedd Aquarium
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Based on Shedd Aquarium’s commitment to the environment, electronic versions of resumes are preferred.
Title: Coordinator of grant writing and research
Status: Full-time regular
Under the oversight of the director of government and foundation relations and the supervision of the manager of government and foundation relations, the coordinator of grant writing and research develops and writes grant requests, proposals and reports with a focus on foundations and government opportunities. Maintains database of current grant activities and proposal and report archive. Researches potential foundation and government funders. As requested, writes proposals and reports supporting all Development Department needs. Develops and maintains a comprehensive knowledge of aquarium programs and operations and a companion library of proposals. As needed, will coordinate and participate in site visits and tours for donors and prospects.
• Prepare proposals and reports, annual solicitation letters, briefing packets, stewardship reports, letters, research backgrounders and other written materials for foundation and government programs. Maintain high standards of accuracy, quality and writing style when relating aquarium information and statistics.
• Maintain database (in the form of various Excel documents) tracking current grant activity, and update as required the institutional grant archive.
• Request and document information from Finance (grant budgets and financial reports) and programmers (specific program information including content, audiences served and impact) as needed. Adhere to all aspects of the grant process.
• Research foundation and government funding sources for conservation, education, animal care, exhibits and operations.
• Write proposals and reports supporting all Development Department needs.
• Contribute to the writing and editing of departmental materials such as brochures, annual report, case statements as needed.
• Research topics and perform literature reviews as needed.
• Develop a comprehensive knowledge of aquarium programs, goals, needs and projects.
• Develop and maintain an updated library of program descriptions and statistics about the aquarium’s collection, programs, demographics, attendance and budget.
• Maintain an annual solicitation calendar for foundation and government proposals in conjunction with the foundation and government relations director.
• Participate on departmental and other aquarium task forces and teams.
• As needed and requested, assist in staffing after-hours special events hosted by the Development Department, including the annual Gala, BLU, holiday breakfast, member and donor events. Participate in tours as requested.
• Assist with the planning for donor site visits including working with the aquarium’s special events managers and booking meeting rooms.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree minimum educational credential.
• Three years' experience in government and foundation grant writing or fundraising.
• Strong and versatile writing background, with ability to prepare a variety of materials; has to enjoy writing.
• Experience in researching funding sources.
• Excellent computer skills, specifically word processing/Raisers Edge database.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and under tight deadline; ability to multi-task and work on several projects simultaneously.
• Ability to work as part of a team.
• Highly motivated self-starter.