Events and Promotions Internship
To be considered for the internship program, please send all following information to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Attn: Internship Program
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Application deadline for Fall 2013 is Sept. 15 or until the internship if filled.
Internship Department: Marketing
Objective: To gain a hands-on understanding of staffing/coordinating off-site promotional events and assisting in the day-to-day activities of our Marketing department including promotions and events.
• Off-site events: Intern will be responsible for setting up and tearing down event set-ups, orienting volunteers, staffing each event, assisting kids with play activities and promoting Shedd to event attendees. Intern will be responsible for representing Shedd and upholding Shedd’s service standards and values.
• Coordinate planning for on- and off-site events, including on-site promotions, events, festivals and more.
• Serve as a point of contact to external event organizers and contractors. Assist in filling out all necessary paperwork, such as applications and volunteer requests.
• Work with supervisor to coordinate ticket trade and promotional partnerships and fulfill contest and promotional benefits for entrants and partners.
• Maintain and track event calendar.
• Participate in marketing meetings, brainstorms and planning sessions.
• Assist in meeting logistics and other administrative duties as assigned by supervisor
Final Product(s): A well-rounded understanding of marketing and event promotion in a not-for-profit cultural institution.
Qualifications: Must be a motivated and organized self-starter with excellent communication skills and a team player. Able to handle multiple projects at one time and comfortable engaging guests (including children). Must have experience interacting with the public, such as serving on street teams, working in retail, or in a similar capacity. Previous work experience in event planning and marketing preferred.
Additionally, must demonstrate good judgment in working with the public, especially in knowing when to refer questions back to supervisor; take pride in Shedd and his/her work; and be eager to share enthusiasm with others. Basic computer skills with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel are required. Must be available on weekends and for early-morning and evening hours. Ability to stand for an extended period of time and the ability to lift up to 40 pounds is necessary. A valid driver’s license is required.
Minimum GPA: minimum 3.0 on a 4-point scale
Desired year in school: Enrolled as a junior or senior in an undergraduate program
Compensation: Unpaid. Interns must make arrangements with their schools to gain academic credit for this internship. Shedd Aquarium is happy to provide any work documentation necessary for this process.
Desired majors: Marketing, advertising, public relations, or other related field.
Two to three days a week, 16 to 20 hours weekly (set schedule will be determined based on intern availability).
Experience working directly with Shedd’s Marketing department in all aspects of event coordination, planning and execution. Networking opportunities through promotional partnerships. Connections to Shedd staff members and other interns through formal and informal trainings as well as mentorship opportunities.
To Apply: Print and complete the application packet available on our website. A list of required application documents is on the website.
If you have questions regarding this internship or our program, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2013-Sept. 15 or until the internship is filled.