Communications & Public Relations Internship
The intern will work directly with the Public Relations staff to assist in implementing daily media relations, internal and external communications projects, events and activities that help position Shedd as the top cultural attraction in Chicago and the country, as well as a leading global conservation organization worldwide. The intern will gain exposure to a variety of media relations opportunities, including cultural and environmental issues through public relations projects, internal and external, as well as relationship building with local, regional and national media outlets. There will also be opportunities for creating connections to other Shedd staff and interns through formal and informal trainings as well as mentorship opportunities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Demonstrate commitment to Shedd’s vision, mission and values
• Willingness to interact with both internal and external audiences via telephone or in-person. Updates PR Coordinator accordingly.
• Light media pitching; returning media calls and requests.
• Assist in drafting press releases and pitches.
• Assist staff with internal communication needs.
• Coordinate logistics for media interview opportunities and events.
• Produce background research on various zoo and aquarium or activist industry news.
A desirable candidate must be able to multitask, have excellent organizational skills, be deadline-oriented, have the ability to work independently, be energetic and have an eagerness to learn. The candidate must also think critically and creatively, be a self-starter, have a passion for public relations and possess excellent time management skills. Intern should be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and must be able to work flexible hours including some early mornings, nights and weekends as necessary, and walk/stand for extended periods of time. Professional work ethic and demeanor is imperative.
Desired year in school: College senior or recent undergrad graduate.
Desired Majors: Candidate will possess either a Bachelor degree in the area of Communications, Public Relations, or Journalism, or academic progress toward a Bachelor degree in these fields of study.
Time Commitment: Three to five days a week; 24 to 35 hours weekly (schedule will be determined based on intern availability).
TO APPLY please submit the following materials to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Completed application
- A cover letter
- A resume outlining your academic and professional experience
- Two (2) letters of recommendation