CHICAGO – Dive into summer fun at Shedd Aquarium! Back in time for the warm weather is the 20th season of Jazzin’; Stingray Touch, the hands-on learning experience for curious minds of all ages; and Great Lakes Action Days (GLAD) which welcomes eco-minded volunteers to the beach beyond the aquarium walls.
Summer Extended Hours Schedule
Even though school is out, the learning doesn’t stop. Shedd offers an extended hours schedule during summer break. Beginning Memorial Day, the aquarium will be open from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. through Labor Day 2014.
Illinois Resident Discount/Free General Admission Days
Chicago’s lakeside aquarium welcomes local residents during the 2014 Illinois Resident Discount Days, sponsored by Ford Motor Company Fund. Illinois residents receive free general admission to the original galleries and discounted admission to other exhibits such as Wild Reef, Polar Play Zone and the marine mammals in the Abbott Oceanarium. Residents must have proof of residency in person to participate in Illinois Resident Discount Days.
- Summer 2014 Illinois Resident Discount Days: June 9, 10, 16 and 17
- FREE General Admission or $8 discount on any other ticket package
SPECIAL EXHIBITS AND PROGRAMS:
Feel the silk-smooth backs of cownose rays and see the graceful glide of the yellow rays at Stingray Touch, Shedd’s first outdoor exhibit. Sponsored by Walgreens, this exhibit provides a hands-on, kid-friendly experience for the whole family.
- Included in a Total Experience Pass or CityPASS
- $5 ($3 for members) add-on with Shedd Pass or GoChicago Card
In Shedd’s special exhibit, Jellies, sponsored by Walgreens, guests can “dive” into the deep and mysterious world of sea jellies, learning how they have survived for millions of years without brains, bones or blood. Understand how a jelly devours enough food to double its mass in one day, and watch sea nettles hunt by trailing their long tentacles and frilly feeding arms that paralyze prey with stinging cells.
- Jellies is open daily
- Included with Total Experience Pass
Shark Feeding Tour: Behind the Scenes in Wild Reef
Dive deeper into the world of sharks in Wild Reef with Shedd’s 50-minute exploration. During the tour, see what’s on the menu for the sharks and rays and follow animal care experts as they ring the “dinner bell” to feed the sharks. Tours are limited to 10 individuals and all participants must be at least 10 years old.
- Saturdays (beginning July 5) and Sundays at 9:45 a.m.
- $89.95 for adults ($54 per member); $80.95 for children includes express entry and access to all exhibits
Jazzin' at the Shedd
Shedd welcomes the return of its annual summer music event, Jazzin’ at the Shedd, for its 20th season. Each Wednesday evening, guests enjoy live jazz music while enjoying cocktails and taking in the beautiful backdrop of Chicago’s lakefront. Let the magic continue by sticking around to enjoy Navy Pier’s fireworks show beginning at 9:30 p.m.
- Every Wednesday beginning June 25 – September 3, 5 – 10 p.m.
- $18 for adults; $16 for children
- Special members only kickoff celebration Wednesday, June 18
Great Lakes Action Days
Feeling inspired by your experience at Shedd’s At Home on the Great Lakes exhibit and ready to make a difference for your local waters? Shedd’s Great Lakes Action Days (GLAD) are for you, offering opportunities to pull invasive plants, snip weedy vines and restore local habitats. All events are open to the public.
- Openlands Lakeshore Preserve: June 6, July 11, Aug. 1
- 63rd Street Beach: June 13, July 25, Aug. 22
- 12th Street Beach: June 18, July 16, Aug. 13
- Illinois Beach State Park: June 4, July 9, Aug. 6
- Indiana Dunes: June 20, July 18
- Bunker Hill (North Branch, Chicago River): June 11
Shedd Aquarium’s Auxiliary Board invites you to a Brazilian-themed “festa” as dramatic as the rise and fall of the Amazon River at the annual BLU gala on Saturday, July 26. Party with the fishes at Shedd’s philanthropic event that benefits animal care, learning, community access, conservation and sustainability. Tickets are limited, so don’t miss your chance to experience a swimmingly chic night at Shedd! After party to follow at Radisson Blu Aqua Hotel. For more information, contact Shedd Aquarium at 312-692-2708.
LEARNING WITH SHEDD:
Teen Learning Lab
Students explore a space designed for teens, by teens at Shedd’s Teen Learning Lab. FREE for high school students, the lab provides tools and resources to combine a passion for both science and technology and put ideas in action. Beyond technology including MacBooks and iPads, the Teen Learning Lab pairs students with aquarium experts to provide feedback on projects and offer guidance when needed. Teens record podcasts, create videos, engage in social media activities, explore a career in aquatic science and even conduct scientific research!
- FREE for high school students
- Tuesdays and Thursdays: 2 – 8 p.m., Saturdays: 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Summer is a popular time for family trips, so Shedd offers helpful tips to ensure an enjoyable experience:
- Are you looking for a Shedd experience that’s a little more special, more personal, more in-depth? Dive deeper, with Shedd’s extraordinary experiences!
- Don’t miss the live animal encounters, dives and chats. Grab a map or see a Shedd Ambassador for daily schedules.
- Families planning to explore all that the Windy City has to offer can save money and receive express entry through discounted multi-attraction packages: CityPASS or GoChicago Card.
- Take public transportation to the aquarium. It’s cheaper than driving and parking, and the CTA’s #146 bus stops right in front of the aquarium.
- Use an umbrella stroller for toddlers to easily navigate exhibits and elevators.
- Plan ahead with one of Shedd’s self-guided Ten Fun Finds. Concentrate on several select exhibits rather than rushing to see the whole aquarium.
For more information, please call 312-939-2438 or visit www.sheddaquarium.org. For group sales information, please call 312-692-3333.
Shedd Aquarium is supported by the people of Chicago, the State of Illinois and the Chicago Park District.
Shedd Aquarium is an accredited member of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA)