Popular Event Series Includes Evenings Celebrating LGTBQ Pride, Fourth of July, Shark Week and Women in Science
As Shedd Aquarium’s popular Wednesday evening event series, Jazzin’ at the Shedd, enters its 22nd year, the aquarium is introducing new, themed nights and programming throughout the summer schedule. This includes special evenings from June through September celebrating LGTBQ Pride, Shark Week and women in science and more. The new themed programming is meant to help connect new audiences with the aquarium and the adult-friendly event series.
“As we looked at the schedule for Jazzin’ at the Shedd this year, we saw numerous opportunities to explore things we’ve never done before, or build on programs that were popular in previous years,” said Meghan Curran, senior vice president of marketing, guest experience and sales. “We’re confident that there will be something for everyone in the special themes and programming we’re offering this summer.”
As in previous years, the event series brings in new and existing jazz talent from across Chicago and the nearby region, providing a unique experience every Wednesday of the summer. Guests enjoy live music while exploring the aquarium in the evening, seeing Shedd and the animals in an entirely different way than if they attended during the day. This access includes the popular outdoor Stingray Touch habitat and Shedd’s new special exhibit, Underwater Beauty. Cocktails and food are available for purchase all night, adding to the ambiance of the adult-friendly evenings. At the end of the night, guests can take in Navy Pier’s spectacular weekly fireworks display on the aquarium’s terrace on the lake.
New this year, the Jazzin’ season will extend through October, and will feature six events focused specifically on Latin jazz. More details on those nights will be shared later this summer.
LGBTQ Pride Jazzin’ – Wednesday, June 27
- While the aquarium has supported the Chicago Pride Parade for years previously, this will be the first pride-focused event that the aquarium will host on-site. Shedd is excited to welcome guests from the LGBTQ community and allies alike, who can enjoy cocktails and pride-themed treats available for purchase and explore the aquarium throughout the evening, including the new special exhibit Underwater Beauty or out on the terrace overlooking the city skyline. A special Science Pub chat that night, titled “Celebrating Diversity: The Living Rainbow” will explore the beauty and importance of diversity in the aquatic world.
Fourth of July Jazzin’ – Wednesday, July 4
- This Jazzin’ will take on a patriotic twist, with traditional BBQ-inspired food and drinks available for purchase. Guests can enjoy dynamic jazz music – a style of music created and made popular here in the USA. As the sun sets, guests can spread out on the terrace and the nearby grass lawns for a true picnic feeling, with the perfect view to watch Navy Pier’s iconic Fourth of July fireworks display.
Shark Week Jazzin’ – Wednesday, July 25
- Answering the popularity of Shark Week, this Jazzin’ will feature tons of information for shark enthusiasts and anyone curious about the world of sharks. A special Science Pub will highlight research conducted by scientists here at the aquarium, both on site and in the Caribbean, to better understand the often-mischaracterized and under-researched predators.
Women in Science Jazzin’ – Wednesday, August 15
- This Jazzin’ is dedicated to supporting the accomplishments of women, including those making contributions to the world of science. Women-led jazz performers will provide vibrant tunes for the night, while some of Shedd’s female scientists will share their accomplishments and achievements in a special women-focused Science Pub chat.
Youth Night Jazzin’ – Wednesday, August 29
- The city of Chicago’s Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events dubbed 2018 the Year of Creative Youth. To coincide with this theme, and the Chicago Jazz Festival, Shedd Aquarium will be celebrating young jazz performers by engaging Whitney Young High School’s ensembles to play in the aquarium’s main foyer during this Jazzin’ event. UIC grad student Morgan Pirtle will also be playing in the aquarium’s Soundings Café.
For $25, guests receive access to live music, alongside admission to the full aquarium, including Shedd’s new special exhibit, Underwater Beauty. Tickets for Jazzin’ at the Shedd can be purchased here: https://www.sheddaquarium.org/jazzin
For an upgraded experience, guests can pay just $15 more ($40 total) to end their night with a Shoreline cruise on the lake, getting them and even better view of the weekly dazzling fireworks. Those special experiences can be purchased here: https://www.sheddaquarium.org/plan-a-visit/visitor-guide/Experiences/Jazzin-at-the-Shedd-/jazzin-shoreline-cruise/
VISUALS: High resolution photos and video are available for download:
Photo credit:©Shedd Aquarium/Brenna Hernandez
Video credit:©Shedd Aquarium/Sam Cejtin