We hope you'll join us in celebrating and caring for our magnificent and precious Great Lakes. Read on to learn more about our work to keep the lakes great and how you can get involved too!
- Help restore local habitats! The Great Lakes are home to more than 3,500 plant and animal species—and 40 million people! So the lakes, rivers, wetlands, dunes, prairies and forests that make up the Great Lakes ecosystem are your home, too. Join our Great Lakes Action Days and give back to the wild places in your backyard.
- Visit Shedd’s At Home on the Great Lakes exhibit and connect with more than 60 species, from prehistoric sturgeon to invasive sea lamprey.
- Join our exciting programs and immersive experiences that invite you to explore and restore Great Lakes ecosystems.
- Follow Shedd’s scientists as they conduct field research that helps inform effective management of native and invasive wildlife.
- Sign up to receive alerts about Overflow Action Days from our partner, Friends of the Chicago River. You will receive fun and interesting reminders before and during rain events to help you conserve water at home and avoid contributing to sewer overflows that can pollute the Great Lakes.
- Work with leaders in the Great Lakes community — scientists, educators, government officials, businesspeople, concerned citizens — to forge solutions to tomorrow’s conservation challenges.