Deciding what seafood to buy can be confusing, especially if you don’t know what to look for or which questions to ask. If you’re unsure, instead of giving up on seafood and opting for the next protein on the menu, follow these tips and recommendations for making sustainable seafood choices.
• Refer to Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch sustainable seafood recommendations online or download the free app. The Seafood Watch app is a free resource that provides up-to-date scientific recommendations for sustainable seafood. When using the app look for the following information:
- Seafood name and type (Ex. Chinook salmon)
- Where it is from (Ex. Imported from New Zealand)
- Farmed or wild (Ex. Farmed in net pens)
• Visit one of the many restaurants in the Chicago area that serve sustainable seafood.
• Cook up a tasty seafood dish at home with one of Shedd’s recipes featuring a sustainable seafood choice.
• Interested in working with us? Shedd Aquarium collaborates with a variety of players in the seafood industry to increase the availability of sustainable seafood in Chicago’s marketplace.