Fishes Husbandry Volunteers
Enjoy the messier aspects of maintaining our animals by preparing food, cleaning animal care and support areas and assisting with other important tasks. While animal contact is minimal, individuals gain experience and learn while working closely with our expert staff members. Animal care experience is helpful but not required.
No Current Openings
COMMITMENT & SHIFTS
1 year; weekly and biweekly morning shifts
Volunteer locations include
- Amazon Rising: Volunteer with tropical freshwater animals, including fishes, invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, birds and small mammals.
- Galleries: Volunteer with species found in the iconic original Shedd building, native to rivers, lakes and oceans.
- Quarantine: Volunteer in the first stop for any new animal arrivals, which can include freshwater fishes, saltwater fishes, amphibians and more.
- Special exhibits: Volunteer in current special exhibit, live foods area, seahorses exhibit and smaller exhibits.
- Wild Reef: Volunteer with sharks, live corals and other tropical saltwater animals.
What are the benefits of being a Shedd volunteer?
- Admission to the aquarium and other cultural institutions
- The chance to see how Shedd works behind the scenes
- Gift shop and café discounts and discounted parking while volunteering
- Helping to spark compassion, curiosity and conservation for the aquatic animal world.
- Meeting a diverse group of staff members, volunteers and guests who share a passion for aquatic life