Shedd Aquarium is also a green space! Our lakefront location is surrounded by gardens designed for our growing conditions, and volunteers help keep them looking great. Share (and expand) your gardening skills from late spring to early fall helping with tasks including planting, weeding, watering and harvesting.
Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Discover Shedd's gardens
Shedd’s horticulturists design gardens that are best suited to our landscape’s growing conditions. Native plants provide natural nutrition and habitat for birds, butterflies and bees and require little or no watering beyond rainfall. Our organic vegetable garden supplements the animals' diets with just-picked leafy greens.
What are the benefits of being a Shedd volunteer?
- Admission to the aquarium and other cultural institutions
- The chance to see how Shedd works behind the scenes
- Gift shop and café discounts and discounted parking while volunteering
- Helping to spark compassion, curiosity and conservation for the aquatic animal world
- Meeting a diverse group of staff members, volunteers and guests who share a passion for aquatic life