Caring for penguins at Shedd Aquarium is a team effort. Staff members have roles in health care, water-quality testing, habitat creation and enrichment, all to provide the best care for the penguins. Let’s explore the penguins’ habitat and behind-the-scenes areas at the aquarium to learn all about penguin care.
All ages and grades
Free to guide and view
Google Expeditions, a free virtual reality experience, allows users from around the globe to digitally visit Shedd’s penguin exhibit, going behind the scenes to learn more about how the aquarium cares for two species of penguins, rockhopper and Magellanic. Explore 360-degree scenes shot in the aquarium’s animal hospital, kitchen spaces and, of course, the penguin exhibit. Written content, spotlight images and discussion questions accompany the expedition scenes, providing tons of information on penguin behavior, biology and morphology.
To get started:
- Download the Google Expedition app from Google Play (Android) or the App Store (iOS) on your phone or mobile device.
- Search for “Penguins at Shedd Aquarium.”
- Click “Download to view or guide.”
- Click “View” for a non-virtual reality experience where you explore by dragging on the screen. Or, click “View in VR” for a virtual reality experience where you move your device to explore.
- Explore Shedd from anywhere in the world.
- Optional: If you have a VR headset, you can place your device in a headset for a more immersive experience.
- When exploring in “View,” see the text at the bottom of the screen to guide your experience. Click the sections of text with the icons to discover photos and more during your experience. Swipe the text area left or right to move to a different room.
- When exploring with “View in VR,” notice the small dot in the center of your viewing area and use your select button as part of your VR headset. Move the dot to focus areas on the screen to be guided around the aquarium and to discover photos and more during your experience. Use the gray shaded box to move to different scenes, turn on narration, or get more information.
- Make sure to visit all six locations/scenes around Shedd Aquarium where staff members and volunteers care for the penguins.