Students go behind the scenes at Shedd and act as ecologists as they gather evidence to make recommendations for restoration of native fish populations in the Great Lakes watershed. This hands-on lab gives students the opportunity to test water samples and consider human impacts at a variety of local sites to evaluate the suitability of habitat locations for fish reintroduction. The off-site version of the program provides a digital connection behind the scenes.
9 to 12
$125 per program
Learning Labs are inquiry-based lab programs in which students gain skills in scientific methods, collaboration, communication, teamwork and more. Learning Labs can take place at Shedd Aquarium or at a school.
What to expect
- Students work in groups using scientific tools to explore a Great Lakes ecosystem
- Students generate their own hypotheses and pursue investigations to answer them
- Teacher and chaperones may participate
- Students use technology such as SMART Boards and multimedia resources
- Students present their findings to each other
Key concepts: ecology, ecosystems, human impact, population dynamics, invasive species, STEM Careers
Skills: scientific investigation through inquiry, collaboration and communication, data collection and analysis, presentation, deductive reasoning
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Moving and standing for up to 30 minutes
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- The learning environment as part of this lesson may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises-which may be loud, low or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
- Facilitators will be using portable voice amplification at times
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Labs at Your School
New this year. Have Shedd Educators come to your school to facilitate a Learning Lab program. These programs are available three days a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays!Read More , on the Labs at Your School page
Great Lakes: Testing the Waters
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Up to 30 students
$125 per program
This project was made possible in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services.