Learn how Shedd's team of scientists monitor and evaluate the water quality for the aquatic animals that call Shedd home. Students test water samples from exhibit habitats and measure the health of an aquatic system by performing water-quality tests (dissolved oxygen, pH, macroinvertebrate visual analysis, etc.) on samples from Shedd and from Lake Michigan. Students discuss their findings, compare samples, and share out about their data and conclusions.
6 to 8
$125 per program
Learning Labs are inquiry-based lab programs in which students gain skills in scientific methods, collaboration, communication, teamwork and more. Learning Labs can take place at Shedd Aquarium or at a school.
What to expect
- Students work in groups using scientific tools to explore the Great Lakes.
- Teachers and chaperones may participate.
- Students use SMART technology and multimedia resources.
- Students present their findings to each other.
Key concepts: ecology, ecosystems, human impact, animal health, STEM Careers
Skills: scientific investigation through inquiry, collaboration and communication, data collection and analysis, presentation, deductive reasoning
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Moving and standing for up to 30 minutes
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- The learning environment as part of this lesson may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises-which may be loud, low or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
- Facilitators will be using portable voice amplification at times.
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Labs at Your School
New this year. Have Shedd Educators come to your school to facilitate a Learning Lab program. These programs are available three days a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays!Read More , on the Labs at Your School page
Next Generation Science Standards: MS-LS2-1.
Common Core Standards: RST.6-8.3, RST.6-8.9, SL.8.1, RST.11-12.7.
Download the Lakeshore Ecology Learning Lab Guide.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Up to 30 students
$125 per program
This project was made possible in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services.