Did you know that Shedd Aquarium’s vegetable gardens produce food for the animals? That’s just one part of how Shedd provides for the needs of the animals every day. Students will explore the basic needs of animals at the aquarium and how these needs are met within the Amazon Rising habitats. They’ll also meet an animal face to face. Students will discover the tools, human activities and resources necessary to care for Shedd's animals.
$95 per program
Science Tech Treks are innovative field trip experiences where students take on the role of a scientist, using tablets to interact with and collect data on animals and their habitats.
Animal needs, animal care, habitats, natural resources
Asking questions, making observations
- NGSS: K-LS1-1, K-ESS3-1
- Amplify Connections: K – The Needs of Plants and Animals
- Moving and standing for up to 1 hour
- Sitting on the floor for activities; chairs and tables are available
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- Students may experience an animal encounter with a turtle or tortoise.
- Facilitators will be using portable voice amplification
- Viewing a tablet screen with videos/images and the use of headphones.
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Request a reservation online using the link on the program’s specific information page. Then, a member of our team will contact you to confirm your requested dates.
We will try to schedule your trip and any learning programs for your first chosen date. If that date is not available, we schedule you for the next available date of your choice. You will receive a confirmation email informing you of the field trip and any program dates, start times and fees. If you have registered for a virtual field trip or learning program, a Shedd staff member will contact you to confirm these details.
Yes, by digital connection and in person! For K-8 classrooms, our Live from Behind the Scenesprogram lets your students interact with Shedd's animal care experts.
We require one chaperone for every 10 students, although one for every five is recommended. Teachers are counted in the chaperone-to-student ratio. Please note: There is an individual fee if your chaperones exceed a 1:5 ratio.
The length of your visit depends on what you'd like to see. Here's how long we recommend for different parts of the aquarium - add them up to start planning your day!
- Original galleries: 45 to 60 minutes
- Wild Reef: Additional 30 minutes
- Abbott Oceanarium: Additional 45 minutes
- Aquatic show: Additional 30 minutes
- K-5 Science Tech Treks: 40 minutes
- 3-5 Learning Lab: 90 minutes
- 6-12 Learning Lab: 90 minutes
- Suggested lunch: 30 minutes
$95 per program
Up to 30 students