Discover the inspiring adaptations squid use to survive in the ocean. In this student-driven dissection, students will engage in a collaborative, hands-on investigation to learn the functions of squid structures. Students practice using the scientific process, scientific tools and instruments, and use their curiosity to guide their exploration.
3 to 8
$125 per program
Learning Labs are inquiry-based lab programs in which students gain skills in scientific methods, collaboration, communication, teamwork and more. Learning Labs can take place at Shedd Aquarium or at a school.
What to expect
- Students work in pairs using dissection tools to explore squid anatomy
- Students generate their own questions and pursue investigations to answer them
- Teacher and chaperones may participate
- Students present their findings to each other
Key concepts: adaptations, predator/prey relationships, anatomy, ocean habitat, STEM Careers
Skills: inquiry, scientific investigation, collaboration and communication
- Use of tools like scissors, forceps, tablets, and microscopes
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Moving short distances
- The learning environment as part of this lesson may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises-which may be loud, low or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
- Viewing a tablet screen with videos and images.
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Labs at Your School
New this year. Have Shedd Educators come to your school to facilitate a Learning Lab program. These programs are available three days a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays!Read More , on the Labs at Your School page
Next Generation Science Standards: 3-LS4-3, 4-LS1-1, MS-LS2-1, MS-LS2-2.
Common Core Standards: CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.3.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.4.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.5.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.4.7, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.3, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RST.6-8.9, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.WHST.6-8.7, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.8.1, CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.CCRA.SL.4.
Download the Squid Dissection Learning Lab Guide
Allergy Notice: The Squid Dissection Learning Lab includes close interaction with squid, including, but not limited to: handling squid with gloves, interacting with squid fluids in a laboratory setting, and being in a room where the smell of seafood is apparent. Squid are considered shellfish and participants who have a shellfish allergy should be aware of this type of interaction. For questions about this lab and allergies, please contact [email protected].
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Up to 30 students
$125 per program
This project was made possible in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services.