Learn how Shedd's team of scientists monitor and evaluate water quality for the aquatic animals that call Shedd home. Students test water samples from exhibit habitats and measure the health of an aquatic system by performing water-quality tests (dissolved oxygen, pH, plankton analysis, etc.) on samples from Shedd. Students discuss their findings, compare samples and share their data and conclusions.
6 to 8
$125 per program
Learning Labs are inquiry-based lab programs in which students gain skills in scientific methods, collaboration, communication, teamwork and more. Learning Labs can take place at Shedd Aquarium or at a school.
What to expect
- Students work in groups using scientific tools to explore the Great Lakes.
- Teachers and chaperones may participate.
- Students use SMART technology and multimedia resources.
- Students present their findings to each other.
Key concepts: Ecosystems, ecological impact, life history, invasive species, human impact
Skills: Scientific method and investigation, collaboration and communication, data collection and analysis, experimentation, prediction
- Use of stairs; elevators and ramps are available
- Work in small groups in which participants could have unique tasks based on their choice, needs, or preference
- Moving and standing for up to 30 minutes
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- The learning environment as part of this lesson may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises, which may be loud, low, or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due to the use of tight-fitting gloves; and potential that participants may get wet or dirty.
- Facilitators will use portable voice amplification at times.
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Labs at Your School
New this year. Have Shedd Educators come to your school to facilitate a Learning Lab program. These programs are available three days a week: Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays!Read More , on the Labs at Your School page
Next Generation Science Standards:
- MS-LS2-4. Construct an argument supported by empirical evidence that changes to physical or biological components of an ecosystem affect populations.
- Clarification statement: Emphasis is on recognizing patterns in data and making warranted inferences about changes in populations, and on evaluating empirical evidence supporting arguments about changes to ecosystems.
Common Core Standards: RST.6-8.3, RST.6-8.9, SL.8.1, RST.11-12.7.
Download the Lakeshore Ecology Learning Lab Guide.
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
Up to 30 students
$125 per program
This project was made possible in part by the Institute for Museum and Library Services.