Plan a Visit
Welcome to Shedd Aquarium! We can hardly wait for you to meet beluga whales and bluegills, rockhopper penguins and rockfish, alligators and an alligator snapping turtle, and so much more as you explore the world’s oceans, lakes, rivers and reefs — all in the heart of Chicago!
Following state and city guidelines, Shedd Aquarium is lifting the mask and vaccination requirements for guests. Guests and staff may continue to wear masks in the aquarium for a variety of reasons, so please continue to be kind and considerate of others.
|Ticket Type||General Admission||Chicago Residents||Shedd Members|
Tips for a great visit
- Advance tickets required: Get to the aquatic world faster by booking your ticket in advance. Find the dates you are looking for with ease, knowing first-hand when dates are sold out.
- Meet the animals: Stingray Touch and Stingray Feeding are open for the summer. Feeding is subject to availability until 12 p.m. Sea Star Touch and Sturgeon Touch are open all day every day.
- Exhibit experiences: We've adjusted our fish IDs to automatically scroll in order to convey information.
- Download the Shedd Go! App: Let the Shedd Go app guide you on your aquarium journey, right from your own mobile device. Available for Android and iOS.
- Accessibility offerings: Wheelchairs, assistive listening devices, and noise-cancelling headphones will be available on a first come, first-served basis and will be sanitized between each use. Details on Shedd’s accessibility offerings.
- Restaurants: Bubble Net food court and Soundings Café will be open from 10:30 a.m. until 2 hours before the aquarium closes that day. Any food or drink you bring with you or purchase from machines must be consumed in designated areas.
- Re-entry: Unfortunately, we won't be able to let people back into Shedd once they exit the building.
Join the penguin adventures
Penguin adventure map
Download the penguin adventure map to follow the footsteps of Wellington and his friends along their infamous field trips with this interactive map. Follow the feet on this interactive map and click/tap the penguin feet on the map to discover the places Wellington and his friends have explored throughout Shedd and beyond!
Edward and Annie: A Penguin Adventure
Follow penguins Edward and Annie on adventures around the aquarium in this new, colorfully illustrated children's book, now available for pre-sale!
Enhance your visit
Shopping and dining
Make your day at Shedd even more memorable—take home the perfect souvenir! The aquarium has a range of gift shops to meet your needs.
All guests will enter through the Accessible Entrance at the entry time on your tickets. Look for the Man with Fish sculpture.
Beginning February 28, 2022, in accordance with the state and city guidelines, Shedd Aquarium is lifting the mask and vaccination requirements for guests. Guests and staff may continue to wear masks in the aquarium for a variety of reasons, so please continue to be kind and considerate of others.
Do you have a fever, cough or feel short of breath? Have you been exposed to someone with these symptoms? Join us at a later date!
Already have tickets? Call 312-939-2438 or email [email protected] and we’ll gladly reschedule your visit.
Our hours can change based on the day of week. For the most up-to-date schedule please visit our calendar page.
Members: Free admission. Please book tickets in advance, online reservations are required.
- General Admission: $39.95 adults / $29.95 children
- Chicago Residents: $19.95 adults / $14.95 children
- Discounts: Please visit our Discounts and Free Days page to see if you qualify.
- Members: Free admission. Please book tickets in advance, online reservations are required.
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Between public transportation and parking nearby, you’ll be on your way to Shedd in no time. Let us help you choose the best way to get here.
Chicago’s Museum Campus can host a variety of special events that affect traffic and parking. Check our traffic alerts to plan your best day at Shedd!
COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death. By visiting Shedd Aquarium, you voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
Please review the CDC's guidance on "How to Protect Yourself & Others" from COVID-19.