January 6 – 16, 2020
- Explore the flora and fauna of Manuel Antonio, Curu and Corcovado, three natural areas that are among the most biologically diverse in the Western Hemisphere.
- Travel along the Pacific coast and experience idyllic beaches and dense rainforest aboard the stunning ship, Le Dumont-d’Urville. The ship offers a relaxed yet luxurious ambiance and features the world’s first multisensory underwater passenger lounge, the Blue Eye.
- Explore the rocky coasts and remarkable rainforest wildlife in Panama’s UNESCO World Heritage Site, Darien National Park.
- Transit through the Panama Canal and visit the San Blas Islands while meeting the Kuna people, who govern the islands as an autonomous province.
- Experience the rich wildlife of rainforests and mangroves, including sloths, white-faced capuchin monkeys, toucans and even a chance to see sea turtle hatchlings and humpback whales at this time of year.
Your expert guide
Chuck Knapp, Ph.D., vice president of conservation research, oversees Shedd's conservation research programs with the goal of saving wild animals and imperiled ecosystems. In addition to overseeing research programs in the Caribbean and Great Lakes region, Chuck has been studying endangered iguanas for 25 years throughout the Caribbean. In fact, he lived in Costa Rica for two summers while studying iguanas. His wife is Costa Rican, and the country has become his adopted home. He is privileged to have traveled extensively throughout Costa Rica and is excited to share his passion for exploration and knowledge of the flora and fauna of the region.
Why you want to go
We are delighted to offer this opportunity to discover the wildlife sanctuaries of Costa Rica and Panama, where geology, climate and history combine to create worlds quite unlike anything found elsewhere.
Getting there and home
You will fly into San Jose, Costa Rica, on your own, where you will gather with fellow travelers and transfer to Puerto Caldera to embark on the Le Dumont d’Urville. You disembark and fly out of Colon, Panama.
The five-star Le Dumont-d’Urville is a luxury vessel commissioned by Ponant, making her maiden voyage in 2019. The fares are all-inclusive and cover all meals, open bar, and excursions and activities.
Pricing ranges by cabin from $5,530-$5,990 for double occupancy (single occupancy available upon request). Email Shannon Fuller at email@example.com for more information about pricing and inclusions/exclusions.
To register for this adventure or for more information, contact Ponant’s reservation line at 1-888-400-1082x1 or Amalia Ciprijan, 646-517-0333, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Assistant Director, Conservation Travel