Sample science teaching strategies that will connect your classroom to Shedd's animals, exhibits and science resources. Plus, meet other Chicago-area educators and become a part of our learning community, where you’ll find resources custom-made for your classroom.
The value of this day-long conference:
- Get a full day of learning, multiple workshops and all meals (light breakfast, lunch and afternoon hors d'oeuvres).
- Enter a raffle in each session and during the social for the chance to win additional classroom resources.
- Receive free parking, a Shedd swag bag of resources/giveaways and cocktails during the social.
- Tour the Aquarium before close, get to know one of our animals and receive tickets to the optional 5 p.m. aquatic presentation.
Illinois teachers registered for this program will receive 7 clock hours upon completion as well as a letter that can be shared with your school administration. A current Illinois Educator Identification Number (IEIN) Number is required for Clock Hours.
Every Shedd program is evaluated so we never stop learning from you. Here’s what we’ve learned from our participants about our Educator Open House:
• Teachers develop their science-process skills by conducting investigations of the natural world.
• Teachers gain awareness of Shedd resources for science instruction, both in and out of the classroom.
• Teachers practice new science instructional strategies while engaging in activities designed for students.
• Teachers gain ideas from peers on integration of inquiry-based science instruction in the classroom.
Science Educator Conference tickets can also be purchased over the phone with our ticketing team at 312-939-2438 (available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. CST daily). Credit card payments are accepted and must be processed immediately at the time of booking to secure your order. We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express.
If you would like to pay by check, you must provide us the check number that will be sent for your order, the date that the check will be mailed, and your check must also have the confirmation number of your reservation stated to ensure it is processed correctly. Registration will not be confirmed until payment has been received. Check payments can be mailed to:
Shedd Aquarium Society
29017 Network Place
Chicago, IL 60673-1290
Please note that purchase orders (POs) are not accepted as a form of payment at this time.
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Moving and standing for up to 1 hour
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Use of tools like scissors, forceps, tablets, and microscopes
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- The learning environment as part of this experience may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises-which may be loud, low or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
- Facilitators will be using portable voice amplification
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, impairment, or other need related to your experience please let us know via phone or email: 312-692-3333 or [email protected]
Email Learning Programs with any questions.