This career learning experience allows veterinary technician interns to learn and participate in the day to day workings of an aquarium animal hospital, which provides care for a large collection of fishes, marine and terrestrial mammals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and invertebrates. Working closely with veterinary technicians and veterinarians, they will experience and assist in exotic animal medicine including routine health care, treatments, and procedures.
Spring and Summer
January 5th of each year
Application process for veterinary technician internship
Please include the following in your application:
- Letter of intent
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- List of three references (please include emails and phone numbers)
- Dates of availability between March and August. Minimum of four weeks.
Please note email applications are preferred.
Where to mail applications
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Veterinary Technician Internship Program
Attn: Bridget Thornton
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
Veterinary technician intern duties and responsibilities
- The preparation and execution of routine medical procedures including but not limited to radiology, ultrasonography, anesthesia monitoring, surgery and endoscopy.
- The preparation and administration of treatments including but not limited to phlebotomy, gavage feeding, fluid therapy, restraint and other supportive care treatments.
- The operation of medical equipment including ultrasound, radiology, laser therapy, microscopes and anesthesia machines.
- Diagnostics including but not limited to cytology, hematology, microbiology and sample analysis.
- Necropsies including collecting and preparing samples for evaluation.
- Partner with staff to maintain the hospital including cleaning, organizing and stocking supplies, and other tasks as directed.
- Complete a project to present at the end of the internship on a subject of the intern supervisor’s and student’s choosing.
- Other projects as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements for veterinary technician internship
- Enrollment in an accredited veterinary technician program. Postgraduates accepted.
- Completion of an exotics animal medicine course preferred.
- At least 18 years old.
- Available for at least four weeks, and 36 hours per week. The preferred schedule is Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Familiarity with basic animal hospital and laboratory procedures and standards
- Ability to work well independently and with a team.
- Ability to communicate openly and professionally
- Willingness to ask questions and to collaborate toward solutions.
- Ability to lift objects of 40 pounds or more as well as bend, crouch, squat and carry equipment.
This is an unpaid internship. Interns are responsible for securing their own housing accommodations and transport. Shedd Aquarium is accessible via public transit.
We strongly encourage people of color, LGBTQ+ community, Veterans and active duty military, parents, individuals with disabilities, and individuals from all cultural backgrounds to apply.
Shedd Aquarium is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes everyone to our team.
If you need a reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.