Veterinary Technician Internship
A career learning experience, a Shedd veterinary technician internship offers exposure to veterinary support of a large collection of fishes, marine mammals, amphibians, reptiles, birds,terrestrial mammals and invertebrates. Working closely with veterinary technicians and veterinarians, they will experience and assist in exotic animal medicine including routine health care, treatments, and procedures.
Spring and Summer
How to apply
To be considered for a veterinary technician internship, send an application packet containing all the required items to [email protected]
You can also mail your application to:
John G. Shedd Aquarium
Veterinary Technician Internship Program
Attn: Bridget Thornton
1200 S. Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60605
- Letter of intent
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- List of three references (please include emails and phone numbers)
- Dates of availability between March and August. Minimum of four weeks.
Applications closed for 2020
Veterinary technician intern duties and responsibilities
- Veterinary Technician Interns will observe and participate in:
- The preparation and execution of routine medical procedures including but not limited to radiology, ultrasonography, anesthesia monitoring, surgery and endoscopy.
- The preparation and administration of treatments including but not limited to phlebotomy, gavage feeding, fluid therapy, restraint and other supportive care treatments.
- The operation of medical equipment including ultrasound, radiology, laser therapy, microscopes and anesthesia machines.
- Diagnostics including but not limited to cytology, hematology, microbiology and sample analysis.
- Necropsies including collecting and preparing samples for evaluation.
- Partner with staff to maintain the hospital including cleaning, organizing and stocking supplies, and other tasks as directed.
- Complete a project to present at the end of the internship on a subject of the intern supervisor’s and student’s choosing.
- Other projects as assigned.
Qualifications and requirements
Enrollment in an accredited veterinary technician program. Completion of an exotics animal medicine course preferred. Postgraduates are accepted.
- At least 18 years old.
- Available for at least four weeks, and 36 hours per week. The preferred schedule is Monday-Friday from 7 a.m.-3 p.m.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Familiarity with basic animal hospital and laboratory procedures and standards
- Ability to work well independently and with a team.
- Ability to communicate openly and professionally
- Willingness to ask questions and to collaborate toward solutions.
- Ability to lift objects of 40 pounds or more as well as bend, crouch, squat and carry equipment.
This is an unpaid internship. Interns are responsible for securing their own housing accommodations and transport. Shedd Aquarium is accessible via public transit.