Dive below the surface at Shedd and see things from our animals’ perspective. These volunteers help with cleaning and maintenance of exhibits, equipment, and support areas, along with preparation and set up of gear. Divers will be assigned to a specific habitat based on qualifications and needs, and may assist with additional related tasks. At all times, divers abide by strict safety and husbandry protocols.
Shedd provides all necessary dive equipment. Dive certification and experience is required – see full details below.
No Current Openings
COMMITMENT & SHFT TIMES
1 year, preferably more; weekly shifts, a.m. and/or p.m., depending on location
Dive locations include:
Caribbean Reef: Connect guests to the animals in this iconic exhibit. In addition to the overall diver responsibilities, these volunteers also prepare food, hand-feed the animals, and assist in animal observations.
Abbott Oceanarium: Enjoy early morning dives as you assist with habitat maintenance. This role does not involve contact with the animals and cold water dive experience required.
- Wild Reef: Swim among the colorful fishes in one of Shedd’s most popular exhibits. In addition to the overall maintenance responsibilities, Wild Reef divers may assist with animal feeding and observations.
- Galleries: Experience a variety of habitats in the original Shedd building, which may include Amazon Rising, the Kelp Forest, and Great Lakes.
Diver Applicant Requirements
- Open-water scuba certified by a recognized agency (PADI, NAUI, YMCA, etc.). Some dive areas may require Rescue diver certification.
- Proof of at least 30 logged open-water dives. Oceanarium diving also requires proof of at least 5 hours of cold-water diving.
- Training dives and resort certifications do not count towards these requirements.
- Ability to pass a swim test and scuba skills evaluation.
- Ability to pass a dive physical examination. Cost of the examination is the responsibility of the applicant.
What are the benefits of being a Shedd volunteer?
- Admission to the aquarium and other cultural institutions
- The chance to see how Shedd works behind the scenes
- Gift shop and café discounts and discounted parking while volunteering
- Helping to spark compassion, curiosity and conservation for the aquatic animal world.
- Meeting a diverse group of staff members, volunteers and guests who share a passion for aquatic life