The Next Generation, Committed to Preserving Aquatic Life
The Auxiliary Board achieves its mission through member-led committees that focus on fundraising, membership, conservation, engagement and social. In addition, they help plan fundraising events and work on creating a suite of virtual events in the community. Learn more about previous year's events, benefits and commitments below.
Please include a resume and a brief statement of interest with your application.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis and new members are inducted on a biannual cycle in spring and fall.
Make a Difference
Make a difference for the aquatic animal world and our Chicago community and join Shedd's Auxiliary Board! The Auxiliary Board consists of young professionals and community leaders who share an interest in aquatic life and conservation. As an integral part of Shedd, Auxiliary Board members aid in the amplification of Shedd's voice among their networks and help design some of Shedd's most notable events to raise funds for the aquarium’s exhibits, research, conservation and education programs.
Past Fundraising Events
See the campaign, on the https://p2p.onecause.com/itstimetosupportshedd/home page
It's Time to Make a Splash
Shedd's 2020 solution to fundraising in a post-COVID world. A fundraising movement offering exclusive virtual events like trivia, animal encounters and more!
Explore the Event, on the Shedd Aquarium Hosts Sold-Out Party with a Purpose, "Out of the BLU" page
Out of the BLU
Shedd's signature summer fundraising in-person event celebrated on the north and lakeside terraces with music, dancing, food, drinks and more!
Learn More, on the Local Schools Win Shedd Aquarium's Wreath-Cycled Challenge page
Wreath-Cycled Classroom Challenge
Shedd's 2017 educational program partnered with school children in the Chicagoland area to create wreaths made of recycled materials!
Exclusive Benefits for Members
- Exclusive networking, volunteering, and visiting opportunities at Shedd and gain professional board experience (and potentially leadership experience) through their service.
- Insider access to Shedd programs, projects, research, and leadership and form personal relationships with one another and with Shedd scientists, educators, and staff.
- Free tickets to visit Shedd Aquarium for friends, family and coworkers.
- Complimentary priority entry on all Shedd visits, invitations to exclusive member events, free subscription to member publications and discounts in aquarium store and restaurants year-round. Additionally, Board members at the Aquarium Council membership level receive complimentary VIP parking on Shedd’s loading dock year-round and yearly personalized private tours of Shedd.
Annual Board Commitments
- Serving on at least one committee. Attending a minimum of four Auxiliary Board or Shedd programs throughout the year, including quarterly meetings and monthly board programming. Supporting Shedd’s fundraising efforts through financial contributions and ticket purchases to BLU.
- Download the Auxiliary Board overview PDF to learn more about the various committees, membership process, goals, commitments and more!
Membership fundraising & friend-raising
- Contribute to Shedd’s Annual Fund by maintaining an active membership at either the Ambassador ($1,000) or Aquarium Council ($1,500) level. Memberships can be instated, upgraded, or renewed via a single gift any time during the calendar year or by making several contributions to the Annual Fund throughout the year.
- Successfully reach out to professional and social networks either directly or through ticket sales, fundraising events and corporate support to raise funding.
Thank you for your interest
We hope you consider applying to help us create a world thriving with aquatic life, sustained by people who love, understand and protect it.