Teacher Professional Development
Jump to your program
Professional Development Offerings
Choose the option that works best for your schedule and curriculum.
When you visit Shedd for an on-site workshop, you'll receive:
- Hands-on educational training from Shedd experts
- Admission to Shedd so you can explore after your workshop
- Free parking
- Lesson plans and resources to bring back to school
- ISBE clock hours
When you participate in a virtual workshop, you'll receive:
- Flexibility to participate from the comfort of your home or school
- Lesson plans and resources to utilize in school
- Access to experts who will take you behind the scenes at Shedd
- ISBE clock hours
Illinois teachers registered for these programs can receive clock hours upon completion of the in-service as well as a letter that can be share with the school’s administration. A current Illinois Educator Identification Number (IEIN) is required for clock hours.
Earn Graduate Credit for Participating in Shedd Professional Development
Both Shedd Aquarium and the University of St. Francis (USF) recognize that profound learning occurs in a variety of formal and informal settings. To encourage continuous life-long learning, USF offers professionals the opportunity to demonstrate their learning in unique settings and earn graduate credit for select experiences outside the traditional classroom structure. Learn more about optional graduate credit for in-service sessions on the University of St. Francis website.
These programs are custom. However, if programs are hosted at Shedd Aquarium, programs could potentially include:
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Moving and standing for up to 1 hour
- Work taking place at standard tables with chairs provided
- Use of tools like scissors, forceps, tablets, and microscopes
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
learning environment as part of this experience may include the
following sensory triggers: unusual noises-that may be loud, low or
moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the
use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
- Facilitators may use portable voice amplification
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Past Educator Workshops
If you are interested in the content of one of our past workshops, please contact [email protected].