Teen Learning Lab
The Teen Learning Lab is a space at Shedd Aquarium designed by teens for teens. Follow your curiosity about science, animals, art and the natural world. Use this free space to make new friends, work on projects and explore careers in aquatic science!
In person Teen Learning Lab is paused during temporary closure. Virtual Teen Learning Lab is happening!
Join us for a series of virtual workshops in June celebrating World Oceans Day.
Upcoming Virtual Teen Learning Labs
June 4th 4pm Oceans: Providing Habitats
June 11th 4pm Ocean: Providing Food
June 18th 4pm Oceans: Providing Life
June 25th 4pm Oceans: Need Protecting
High school teens (14+)
Upcoming Teen Learning Lab events:
Join us for a series of virtual workshops!
To celebrate World Oceans Day, virtual Teen Learning Lab workshops in June will focus on the importance of the ocean and how we can work together to keep marine ecosystems healthy.
June 4th 4PM Oceans: Providing Habitats
- Explore the variety of animals that call the ocean home and their unique habitats.
June 11th 4PM Ocean: Providing Food
- Discover what it means to source seafood sustainably, the types of food that come from the ocean, and how to make smart seafood choices.
June 18th 4PM Oceans: Providing Life
- Uncover the ways the ocean keeps not only marine animals, but us alive, through the air we breathe and innovation in medicine.
June 25th 4PM Oceans: Need Protecting
- Hear about actions being taken to protect our waters, from the 30 by 30 Campaign and marine protected areas to ways you can act locally to protect aquatic environments.
Teen Learning Lab benefits
While working in the Teen Learning Lab you’ll have access to a variety of resources including
- Mentors from careers like animal training, exhibit design, marketing, public relations, animal health, animal husbandry, education, technology and more
- Access to project supplies and technology (most of what you would find in a typical makerspace)
- Project demonstrations and workshops
- Access to workspace during lab hours
“In the Teen Learning Lab, you get to talk to people who you have something in common with and meet other teens. You get to learn about important issues and how people my age can get involved.”
Teens in high school.
The Teen Learning Lab is a space driven by your interests. Teen Learning Lab mentors can work with you to develop almost any project you’d like to start, including school or science fair projects. Due to aquarium policies and the limited use of some resources, some projects may not be possible in the Teen Learning Lab.
The Teen Learning Lab is free.
While we think they are extremely helpful, orientations are not mandatory, and you are welcome to come to Teen Learning Lab anytime during open hours. Orientations provide you an opportunity to connect with other teens and experts and explore the many exciting things that happen at Shedd Aquarium.
Each orientation includes an overview of all programs that we provide to teens throughout the year, highlighting those with active or upcoming application windows. Our goal is to help you choose the best program based on your interests and available time commitments.
Teen orientations are intended to showcase that the Shedd Aquarium is a place for teens to explore their interests and passions. Our goal is to help you feel comfortable at Shedd, and to see the aquarium as a valuable resource for pursuing your future endeavors. During the orientation, we provide a variety of experiences that might include behind-the-scenes tours from staff experts, mentor-led engagements from a variety of departments, and art and research projects. If you would prefer a schedule of events, please email [email protected], and we will do our best to accommodate you.
The Barker Welfare Foundation
The Heller Foundation
Bank of America
Email [email protected]
If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, impairment, or other need related to your experience please let us know via phone or email: 312-692-3269 or [email protected].