Underwater Robotics Program
Dive deep into underwater robotics at Shedd Aquarium! A suite of programs introduces teachers and students to science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) principles through the development and application of remotely operated vehicles (ROVs) to investigate aquatic environments.
Application for the 2020-2021 club is coming soon.
Teachers with students in grades 6-12
Chicago Public Schools clubs: Free
Non-CPS clubs: $250
The Underwater Robotics Club provides educators with the knowledge, materials (an ROV kit worth $1,000) and support to run their own after-school robotics clubs. The program culminates in a fun-filled poolside event where teachers and students can test their ROVs. Afterward, Shedd holds the annual Shedd Midwest Regional Marine Advanced Technology Education (MATE) ROV Competition, open to middle and high school underwater robotics clubs.
The Underwater Robotics Club is generously funded, in part, by The Motorola Solutions Foundation and by The Best Buy Foundation.
- Second teacher PD: Saturday, January 11th, 2020
- Club Celebration: Saturday, March 28th, 2020
- MATE Regional Competition: Saturday, April 25th, 2020
- ROV Field Trip Day: Saturday, June 6th, 2020
- Use of stairs; elevators are available
- Moving and standing for up to 1 hour
- Work taking place at standard and lab tables with chairs provided
- Use of power tools, saws, soldering irons, and other tools
- Moving around the aquarium, which has varying light, noise and temperature levels
- The learning environment as part of this experience may include the following sensory triggers: unusual noises-which may be loud, low or moderate; changes in lighting; unusual smells; touch sensitivity due the use of tight-fitting gloves; and, participants may get wet or dirty.
We believe there should be no boundaries to your Shedd Aquarium experience. If you have an accommodation request related to a disability, please contact us at [email protected] or 312-939-2438. We look forward to assisting you.
Depths of Discovery: Shedd’s Underwater ROV Program
Thousands of students have partnered with Shedd Aquarium to learn about robotics, STEM careers and ways in which underwater robots can help humanity reach new depths of discovery and exploration.Read More , on the Depths of Discovery: Shedd’s Underwater ROV Program page